Is it just me or do you ever have those moments when you are SO overwhelmed that you honestly don't even know where to begin? You have so much that needs to get done that even just thinking about all you have to do stresses you out?
I've felt like this a few times over these past few days, and it is not a very fun feeling. So where should you start when you don't even know where to start? Here are a few of my tips to (hopefully) help you feel less overwhelmed, and more motivated to get. stuff. done.
1. Breathe. Yes, this needs to be included as a tip. Not only is breathing vital for living, it also helps you calm down a bit. Everything will get done. It will all be ok in the end. Just take a deep breath.
2. Make a list. We all know how I feel about this one--I am all about lists. But seriously, taking some time to physically write down everything that you need helps in a number of ways. Making a list allows you to actually see what needs to get done so that you can begin formulating a plan of attack. Making a list also allows you to get all of your stressed out, jumbled up thoughts out of your brain and onto a piece of paper.
3. Go someplace where you know that you can get work done. I've written about this before. Find somewhere that you are the least distracted and the most productive--be it your desk, the library, Starbucks, etc--and go there. This will help you minimize distractions and focus on the tasks before you a whole lot easier.
4. Pick one thing to work on first, and work on it until it is finished. So many times, we see this big list ahead of us and feel like our time would be better spent trying to accomplish as many things as we can at the same time. Stop doing that. Choose one task from your list, and put all of the other undone tasks out of your mind until you finish that first one. What do you do when you are done with that first task? Pick a second...and then a third...
5. Realize that it's ok if you don't finish everything right now. Sometimes, I stress myself out even more by thinking that I have to do every single thing on my to-do list in one sitting. Break down your tasks into the most urgent, most difficult, and so on. Get done whatever you can get done in the moment, and then realize that tomorrow is another day.
Do you have any tips on where to start when you don't even know where to start? I'd love to hear them!