About Me

Friday, February 6, 2015

You Can't Cry Forever

Is it just me or do you ever have those days where you just feel like crying nonstop? You are overwhelmed, or hurt, or angry, and you just can't seem to pull yourself out of that awful state?

This was me last night. I had just gotten home from an extremely long day, and I felt completely, utterly, totally overwhelmed. I cried on the way home, I cried when I got home, I cried in the shower. And then it hit me.

I already know that crying doesn't help solve anything. I think we all know that. But when we are in the moment of sadness, anger, stress, etc., it can be hard to see past the current state that you are in. But once I was able to calm myself down, I had a realization that struck a chord.

You can't cry forever. You can't be angry forever. You can't be afraid forever. Yes, things happen in our lives that we can't control. You get overwhelmed by work, and school, and life, and you feel like you are drowning in the midst of it all. Someone hurts you in a bad way, and you just can't seem to forgive and forget. Something happened in your past that is stopping you from enjoying life in the present.

Whatever the case may be, you have to come to a point where you realize that you can't stay in that mindset forever. Sure, you technically can sulk and whine for days, weeks, months, even years. But what good does that do you? There comes a time when you have to pick yourself up and move on.

Feel overwhelmed for an hour. Cry for an hour. But don't cry for a whole night. Stop the tears and realize that you have to start somewhere (see this post for more on that) in order to get anywhere.

You are allowed to feel angry and upset over a wrong that someone did to you. And you can be angry for a time. But don't stretch that time for too long, allowing that anger and bitterness to take over your life. Eventually, you have to reach that point where you realize that the hurt you've been carrying around with you is simply not worth it. Put away your pride, forgive, and move on.

As hard as I know that it is, try and see past whatever emotion you are feeling. See past all the piles of unfinished homework, past the anger against the person that wronged you, past the memory that has been keeping you from enjoying life. Look beyond all of those things and see that there is so much life and happiness waiting for you on the other side. All you have to do is pick yourself up, and begin moving forward.

I will leave you with one of my favorite Bible verses:
                 Psalm 30:5 - "Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning"

Try and see past the sorrow of the night to the joyful morning that lies ahead.

1 comment:

  1. Just a thought to go along with this great blog: You are allowed to feel sorry for yourself, but you can't stay there. There is nothing useful, productive or healthy in staying there. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete