About Me

Friday, November 7, 2014

PAY ATTENTION!

Is it just me or can you tell when someone is not really paying attention to you? You are trying to talk to someone and they are listening, but they are also texting, or constantly looking at their phone, or moving about doing something else? 
I know that I am certainly guilty of this, but recently, I have been really trying to be more mindful and attentive to people when we are talking. I know that it bothers me when I am trying to tell someone something and they are answering texts while giving me one-word responses, so why do I do it too?? It is obvious when someone is only half-listening, or when they are distracted by something else. And on top of that, it can be really annoying and frustrating sometimes. Yet I still do it. I still check my phone while having a conversation with someone. I still run around my room straightening up while a friend is sitting on my bed trying to talk to me. And I don't want to do that anymore.

People want attention. I want attention, you want attention...we all want to know that people care about what we are saying and respect us enough to listen while we speak. Think about how good it makes you feel when you just know that the other person you're talking with is genuinely involved in the conversation, and is interested in what you are saying. I know that it makes me feel really loved and cared for.

While I am not perfect, I have really been trying more and more to pay attention to people when they are speaking with me. I have been more mindful about not touching my phone, I have been trying to make better eye contact, and I have been trying to give genuine responses that show I am listening. I am sure that, just as people notice when you aren't paying attention to them, they also notice when you are. And that difference is huge.

I am taking a stand and really trying to pay more attention to people in my conversations with them. Let me know if you would like to stand with me.


1 comment:

  1. You are 100% right, and I choose to be standing right alongside you...as soon as I check my phone!!! LOL We let so many things clutter our minds these days and try to do so many things at once, and it's not as productive as we try to tell ourselves it is. PEOPLE are most important and deserve our full attention. I will make the effort, and I'm sure it will make a difference not only to the people I am listening to, but to myself as well. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete