About Me

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

We Don't Live in a "What if" World

Is it just me or do you ever find yourself wondering "what if..."? What if I don't get into my dream school? What if he doesn't like me? What if no one reads my blogs???
But what if they do?

When people ask this "what if" question, they usually only consider it from the negative perspective.  They also ask it as if the hypothetical answer is going to change anything. Don't get me wrong, I still ask this question from time to time, but I am learning that it isn't even worth asking. 

When I was younger, I used to question everything. I would be in the car with my mom talking about school or boys or something and I would pop the question: "Well what if this happens?!" And my mom's answer was always the same: "We don't live in a 'what if' world."  

I am realizing more and more how true that statement is. Why worry about things that might not even happen? What is the point of thinking of a hundred different possible outcomes, when the odds are that none of those things are going to be how things play out anyway? All you gain from that is a head full of questions and an upset stomach.

Next time you find yourself wondering "what if...", stop yourself, trust that everything happens for a reason, and let whatever happens, happen. I promise that you will save yourself a lot of time and anguish. And the next time you hear someone else ask the question, feel free to tell them what my mom told me. Because I'd take the world we live in over a 'what if' world any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment