About Me

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Working Out is Hard to Do-Tips to Get You Motivated

Is it just me or is the hardest part about working out actually going to work out? I always find that once I am at the gym I am totally fine, but the physical act of going to the gym is a constant struggle.

I prefer to go to the gym first thing in the morning so I can get it over with and start my day on a positive note. However, getting myself up and out of bed never gets easier. Even once I do get out of bed, I find myself taking my sweet time, looking for any excuse not to go to the gym. Why do I do this? Why is it so hard to just get up and go?! I really wish I knew the answer. But the reality is that it is hard, so I've come up with some tips to get you moving and out the door. 
1. Get yourself into a routine. If you get anything out of this blog post, let it be this point. Creating and sticking to a routine is crucial if you want to work out consistently. I have certain mornings each week that I know I can go to the gym. That being said, I have created for myself a little routine for those mornings that I follow each and every week. My routine goes a little something like this: get up, get ready for the gym, eat a little something, go to the gym for an hour, come home and shower, get ready for the day, etc. I do these same things in this same order every day. Routines can be hard to keep at first, but stick to them, and they will turn into habits! 

2. Set your alarm way earlier than you actually have to be up. I try to do this on a regular basis anyway, but if I want to make it to a 9:30 am gym class and I know I have to leave by 9:15, I will set my alarm for 8:00 or 8:15, even though I know it only takes me about 5-10 minutes to get ready. This gives me some time to lay around in bed on my phone (come on now, we are all guilty of this!) and take my time getting ready.  

3. Lay out your clothes and shoes the night before. This is HUGE. Part of my procrastination in the morning is picking out something to wear. Now, I in no way get glammed up for the gym--in all honesty I usually look like quite the disheveled mess. I like to lay out my gym clothes and sneakers at night so that when I wake up in the morning, everything is all ready for me. I don't have to think about what to wear; I just put the clothes on and go! I also find that once I actually have my clothes on, I feel much more motivated to work out. 

4. Plan to take a class. When it comes to working out, I tend to work harder and get more out of it when I take a class with a really good instructor. Over the past few weeks, I have tried some different classes at my gym and found some that I really enjoy. Knowing that I will be going to work out in a structured environment for an hour really helps get me motivated (and more willing) to go to the gym.

5. Work out with a friend. This one may not be for everyone, but if you and a friend belong to the same gym, try to work out a schedule where the two of you can go together. This not only makes working out more fun, but it also holds you accountable. I actually prefer working out by myself, but I do have some ladies that I see every week in some of the classes I like to take, and something about just knowing that they are there helps get me to the class. 

Do you have anything you like to do to get you up and motivated to work out?

No comments:

Post a Comment